> I attempted the throw from Cisco to Vyatta last night, and failed.
>
> Could it be possible that they would need to clear arp cache or
> something similar? I am really stumped on this one. I even set an
> address on my laptop in the same subnet of the Vyatta up side, and it
> talked to my laptop.

While I've only seen this issue with crappy upstream providers, it
*is* possible that they need to clear their arp cache.  I have two
firewall/routers using VRRP.  When I fail over to the secondary, it
takes about 15 minutes for my upstream provider to notice despite
sending gratuitous ARP broadcasts telling them something has changed.

I'm not sure how long of an outage you can afford, but one possible
line of troubleshooting is waiting to see how long it takes for your
Vyatta box to be noticed.  Not sure if your upstream provider is like
mine, but I got nowhere with their NOC.  Course that's my fault for
colocating with a provider who specializes in broadband/dialup, not
colo.

The other poster had a good idea too.  Go ahead and set your Vyatta
MAC to that of your Cisco box.  This [should] ease the transition.

Regards,
Ken