> I am looking for a tool that is able to measure the (one-way)
> latency or delay.
> >From what i know ping or traceroute are only able to measure the RTT.

There is no widely-used, standard tool that I know of. I’m sure there is
some code you could snarf from somewhere, though.

I think the reason that a standard tool doesn’t exist is that the problem
of latency testing essentially degenerates to one of clock synchronization
between the source and the destination. If you do RTT measurements, the
transmitter and receiver are the same box, so the clocks are automatically
synchronized.

If you do one-way testing, you need to get clock synchronization between
the source and dest nodes. If you need highly accurate measurements, then
you might need something like GPS to help you synchronize (as opposed to
NTP, which is great for basic date/time stuff, but won’t help you much
with microsecond resolution timing).

Once you have the clock synchronization issue nailed, the code to do the
measurement is only about half a page of C on both the source and test:
take a timestamp, transmit a UDP packet out, receive it sometime later,
and take another timestamp.

-- Dave