From: Dave Roberts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 12:43 PM
To: Shane McKinley; vyatta-users@mailman.vyatta.com
Subject: RE: [Vyatta-users] Waiting for xorp_rtrmgr...

> Is that how the Vyatta company operates? Leave bugs unpatched and hope

> someone will pay for support? It would seem to make more sense to hold

> features back instead of bugs.

As one of the guys representing the business-side of our company, I'll
weigh in here. As Justin rightly points out, the bugs are not unpatched,
they are simply unreleased in a binary format. The code repositories are
there and you're free to build from them directly if you want. It is not
our policy to leave bugs in the community version so that people will
buy the supported version.

That said, each release of binaries does cost resources to build it,
test it, package things up, prepare documention and release notes, etc.
That's true on both the community side as well as the subscription side.

Our policy is to do time-based binary releases of the community version,
primarily driven around the introduction of new features, but also
incorporating all bug fixes up until that point. Bugs that are fixed
between the time-based Community releases are released with the next
Community release cycle.

Paying customers are, well, paying us to support them. That means that
we do patches and fixes when required to address issues that are
pressing for them.

BTW, Red Hat has a similar model for Fedora vs. RHEL. While the Fedora
community does update packages in Fedora on a regular basis, any given
bug may remain unfixed in Fedora until the next release when a new
version of a package is introduced. It certainly isn't Red Hat policy to
take every patch from RHEL and apply it to Fedora as soon as it is
applied in RHEL.

So, I think our policies are rational and I have no problem defending
them. We're definitely not being deliberately unfair to the community in
any way. We *are* prioritizing paying customers over free community
releases, but I think we're doing that in a reasonable way, not unlike
any other commercial open source company.

> I am more than willing to pay for support, but I wanted to make sure
> the product would work for me first.

Of course. I don't blame you for that. We'd like to help you with that
as much as possible. You should note that the vyatta-users list has lots
of participating from Vyatta employees who try to give you the best
answer they can at any given time. It is not our policy to deliver
anything but straight answers and the best support we can, whether to
our paying customers or community. Many of our customers tell us that
they felt comfortable with Vyatta because of the interactions they had
with us
*before* they became a customer. I would note that several times in the
past few weeks, I have seen engineers posting to the vyatta-users
mailing list with a small patch of code that a user could apply
themselves if they required the fix before the next release.

> I have a better idea -- Patch the bugs, and allow the software to be
> functional for the purpose it was created.
> Then we are talking.

This is absolutely our policy, subject to the time-based release
methodology that we follow.

> Unfortunately it seems Vyatta is unlikely an acceptable replacement
> for my Cisco 7500.

That would be a bummer for us. We certainly want everybody to have a
good experience with Vyatta. We would love to get you going and have you
as a customer. I have been reading your blog about your Vyatta and
enjoying your writing.

> So far I have ran into 3 detrimental issues and the routing bugs bring

> me just short of a dead end.
>
> 1. VRRP Limitations
> 2. Policy System Limitations
> 3. Routing Bugs

The best I can tell you at this time is that these are all high-priority
issues for us and are being addressed in the codebase right now. I would
suggest you try to the upcoming Glendale Alpha ISO, which we are making
available in about a week or so, to give the community some visibility
into the things that are changing. There have been huge changes to all
of these subsystems and I believe that all the issues you found have
been removed.

> I am still going to try to work around this issue, but maybe the
> Vyatta company can re-think the bug-fix-holding for monetary purposes
> philosophy.

Again, it is not our philosophy or policy to withhold bugs from the
community. The only policy we have is to allocate our release-oriented
resources toward Vyatta Community releases on a time-based cycle. You're
simply catching us between releases where a particular bug that you're
interested in has not yet been released in binary form (but has been in
source code form).

-- Dave