Does the load balancer have ICMP disabled?  That'd certainly explain
that, unless
you were able to ping it before --

Since you have the load balancer between the router, I suspect it's a
load balancer issue.

You can see what's going on by running tshark/tcpdump on the interface, and see
what's on the wire.  If you can examine the traffic between the load
balancer and the
servers, you'll learn more :-)

Justin