I just wanted to post this tonight,  since the developers of  vyatta has came
out with a alpha rls, and  they  have new features to go along with this. I
decided to throw some new idea across my desk. One of my main goal has always
been to  get rid of the bulky, noisey, energy draining hard disk.

Guess what? I finally have ;)

Vyatta was installed on a 4GB sandisk CF ( compact flash ). The install was
slower than normal and even took some time writing grub. But as I type I have a
 new 1U server with no drives and it's running  off CF. I'm tired, but at the
same time  happy and will  conduct some  simple configs tomorrow for testing. I
post  any issues if any should arise.