Are you recycling an old virtual disk, or using a newly created one? If its a recycled disk, you may need to delete any partitions by hand with fdisk. If its a new disk, you might want to try changing the hard disk type to IDE rather than SCSI (assuming you're not on ESX)

Aubrey Wells
Senior Engineer
Shelton | Johns Technology Group
A Vyatta Ready Partner