That's actually a harder problem - you can do it by changing where the system
looks for configuration on boot, install to disk and then modify the
files to change
what's mounted and where the system looks for the configuration, or build from
scratch and create your own LiveCD with the changes in it.

In VC4, look in /etc/init.d/vyatta-ofr, /etc/default/vyatta, and
/etc/default/vyatta-cfg.

If you make the changes that let the system find the configuration on
a flash drive,
be sure to submit them back to the hackers list (or should that be
forum??) for inclusion
for others as well :-)

Best,
Justin