List,

    During the last days I've been trying to tackle the slowness
problem in w3af, and I found out two big "sources of slowness":

- For some reason the threads that perform the HTTP requests are
deadlocking. I need to debug why/where/when.

- The grep plugins consume 100% of CPU when running. Basically, grep
plugins are regular expressions being applied to HTTP responses. The
problem arises when there are ~50 regular expressions (all the grep
plugins enabled) being applied to every HTTP response. Even when
running the grep process in a different thread, this will make the
user interface unresponsive, and the w3af process is going to consume
100% of CPU.

    In this case, I'll first try to fix the grep issue. My ideas are
simple, first I'll try to increase the performance of different grep
plugins in order to reduce CPU consumption, and then I'll find a
definitive solution like running the grep analysis in a different
operating system process using multiprocessing or maybe some ad-hoc
solution.

    Regarding the deadlocks... anyone knows how to debug these?

Cheers,
--
Andrés Riancho
Founder, Bonsai - Information Security