I tried to used w3af's webSpider with a test site that uses basic
authentication and it never authenticated. I verified this in the server
logs and with a packet capture. I tried with multiple targets, IIS6
(Win2003) and IIS7.5 (Win7). I sniffed the traffic and I never saw an
authentication attempt. It was therefore unable to spider the site either. I
dug into the code a bit but couldn't find anything. I was able to use curl
to confirm the site works.

The "myrealm" has been changed in the output below, but it is the same as
the domain.

Curl:
curl --basic --user myuser:Password1 http://192.168.40.1/default.htm

Sniffed 401 header response from server:
WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="myrealm"

Here is the source script:
plugins
discovery webSpider
output console
back
http-settings
set basicAuthUser myuser
set basicAuthPass Password1
set basicAuthDomain myrealm
back
target
set target http://192.168.40.1/default.htm
back
start

Output:
w3af>>> start
Auto-enabling plugin: grep.httpAuthDetect
The resource: "http://192.168.40.1/default.htm"; requires authentication. The
realm is: "Basic realm="myrealm"". This information was found in the request
with id 1.
Found 1 URLs and 1 different points of injection.
The list of URLs is:
- http://192.168.40.1/default.htm
The list of fuzzable requests is:
- http://192.168.40.1/default.htm | Method: GET