Meh.

sqlite has been threadsafe since 2006, and the python adapter still
won't let you use connections across multiple threads because you might
have an old version.

You're using an explicitly unsupported workaround
(check_same_thread=False) that may cause dataloss due to optimisations
in python 2.6 and later. See http://bugs.python.org/issue3846

I guess your workaround coupled with the mutexes should be a safe
solution but may not be the most performant.  I'm still researching and
trying to wrap my head around the weirdness that is the python sqlite3
adapter though.  It does some *strange* things. The ruby adapter is
threadsafe. Just sayin.. ;-)
--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Consultant    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |