lulz and organizing.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Senator Ken Gordon, District 35-Denver <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Jul 2, 2007 9:29 PM
Subject: A Bucket of Blood
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

During the 1980s when the United States was supporting the government in El
Salvador and the Contras in Nicaragua, both right-wing military groups that
engaged in atrocities against civilians, a group of protesters staged a form
of guerilla theater by reenacting scenes from war in front of Senator
Armstrong's office in Cherry Creek. Some of the protesters dressed as
Contras in military garb, some dressed as peasants, a wrecked car was placed
on the grass in front of the Senator's office, a tape recorder played the
sounds of war. Pig blood was obtained from a local slaughterhouse. During
the guerilla theater, peasants were shot, blood was spilled on them and
adjacent structures - a point was made.

Later I represented a number of people that were arrested at the protest. In
order to prepare I went down to the evidence bureau at the Denver Police
Department to see what they had seized. After looking at what they had, the
evidence custodian asked me if I wanted to see the bucket of blood in the
evidence refrigerator. I said no and he said, "I can't wait until this trial
is over. That bucket smells really bad."

During the trial a police officer witness brought the bucket into the
courtroom wrapped in several layers of polyethylene. The police officer
testified that this evidence was seized at the scene, and the prosecuting
attorney said, "Open it up."

I was aware that this was going to be an unpleasant experience for everyone
in the courtroom, so I stood up and said, "Your honor, I object. I will
stipulate that there was blood used at the demonstration. I will stipulate
that there is blood in that bucket, I will stipulate that the blood in that
bucket is the blood that was seized at the demonstration. But I understand
that it doesn't smell very good, and I don't think that there is any reason
to open it up."

We were at a stage in the trial where the prosecutor was
counter-suggestible, so he insisted that the policeman remove the
polyethylene from the bucket; the Judge, noting perhaps that I actually
didn't have any grounds for my objection, overruled it. I was happy in my
knowledge that in a couple minutes the jury might remember that I had tried
to save them from the experience.

The smell spread outwards in concentric circles. One could observe it travel
down the row of jurors by watching them sequentially cover their faces. It
got to the Judge about the same time it got to me. He called a recess and
Judge, jurors, witnesses, attorneys and defendants all fled into the
hall. The Judge made one of his clerks go into the courtroom and spray some
Glade air freshener. A little while later one of the police officers went in
to see, or rather smell the progress. When he came out I asked him how it
was.  He said, "It smells like someone bled to death under a pine tree in
there."

At my urging, the jury eventually adopted an expansive view of the right to
free speech and acquitted all of the defendants.

All of this is prelude to me sharing that a group called Iraq Veterans
Against the War is engaging in a guerilla theater protest against the Iraq
war here in Denver on Wednesday, July 4th. There are events all day
throughout the city, but the beginning of the program is at Civic Center
Park by the Veterans' obelisk at 11:00am. A press conference is planned for
12:30pm at the Military Entrance Processing Station at the New Customs House
at 721 19th St (19th and Stout). I have been told that no incidents of civil
disobedience are planned, and that at other protests in Washingon, D.C., New
York, Los Angeles and Chicago no one has been arrested. If you would like to
support the protest you are invited - I'm sure that these veterans will
greatly appreciate any signs of support that you can give. Wear sunscreen.

For more information about Iraq Veterans Against the War visit www.ivaw.org.

I hope you are well.

-Ken

------------------------------
Senator Ken Gordon, District 35-Denver
Web: www.kengordon.com
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
My Profile: Update My
Profile<http://www.knowledgemessenger.com/prod/signup.asp?App=kengordon&iUserId=408420>

Please feel free to
forward<http://www.knowledgemessenger.com/prod/kmtasks/forwardnewsletter.aspx?App=kengordon&id=1843&id2=408420>this
newsletter to a friend.  To unsubscribe, please click
here<http://www.knowledgemessenger.com/prod/optout.asp?App=kengordon&id=408420>
.

<http://www.knowledgemessenger.com>