On Sun 17 Apr 2016, Emil Velikov wrote:
> On 17 April 2016 at 01:41, Jason Ekstrand <ja...@jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.veli...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

[snip]

> >> Not quite I'm afraid.
> >>
> >> As a queue, I'm doing to (slightly) beat the SDL drum.
> >> SDL caters for everyone's needs and has a much wider exposure than
> >> waffle. I'm suggesting the exact same approach like the one they opted
> >> for ;-)
> >

> > I doubt its the "exact" same or they'd be having build breaks too.
> They do actually [1]. The person who fixed it is familiar wayland
> developer [2] yet he choose the same approach as me ;-)
>
> > If you
> > want to provide a sort of glue layer to an application, your suggestion of
> > "optional" entrypoints is probably exactly what you want.
> Indeed. Thank you.
>
> >  However, waffle
> > itself needs to call something and it either needs to be smart enough to
> > call the right thing depending on the libwayland version it just dlopened or
> > it needs to just always call old ones.
> >
> The cases of waffle being "dumb" (not being smart enough) are so
> infrequent, that it beats the added overhead that importing the header
> will bring.
>
> Thanks for the discussion. Hopefully you're seeing things from my POV ;-)
> Emil
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/spurious/SDL-mirror/tree/master/src/video/wayland/SDL_wayland{dyn.{c,h},sym.h}
> [2]
> https://github.com/spurious/SDL-mirror/commit/737415012588a2636794292129a2d39f2a28fe3c

Both Jason's and Emil's approaches seem valid to me. And my preference
flip-flops every few minutes as I read the thread.

In April, I was strongly convinced of Jason's position. Now I'm leaning
slightly toward's Emil's.

I want to look more closely at SDL's approach (Emil, thanks for the
links), and then make a final decision. But it's late in the day for me
and my brain is done. Exhausted brains can't be trusted, so the decision
will have to wait until morning.