Calvin

The newer G3 chips have incorporated the L2 cache on to the chip itself - so
it runs at the same clock speed as the chip. The older L2 cache was
external to the chip and usually (on the lower end machines) only ran at
half the clock speed. So, reportedly, the new G3s with 256k on-chip L2
cache are faster (at the same clock rate) than the older G3s with 512k
external L2 cache.

Cheers

Greg