Hi Muggers

My daughter is building a web site at school as part of her Info
Systems course and wants to incorporate some natural sounds which I
have recorded. We have macs at home and she is working on PC's at
school with front page. I have a tape deck that I can connect to the
sound in port to record the sounds. Can someone please advise me as
to the software I need (pay, share or free ware) and how I save the
the sounds on the macs (imac DV 400 or a G4 400 with 9.1) in a format
that she can take to school via a zip disk which we have. Im thinking
she probably needs .wav files or something similar, but how do I
produce them? This is totally new to me!

It's been discussed previously on the WAMUG list several times this year already under the guise of copying vinyl records to CD. Try searching the archives...

Im also wondering if there is a way to make a CD that I want to burn,
password protected when it is written on the burner, and if it can be
done with multiple sessions? I would like to protect the data I want
to backup.

Under Mac OS 9 or earlier, create a password-protected Stuffit Archive and burn that to the disk (Or try to find a copy of PGPDisk from NAI who (a) make it exceedingly difficult to buy and (b) are in the process of selling the product off to someone else). Under Mac OS X create an Encrypted Disk Image using Disk Copy and burn the image. Note that the Stuffit Archive is probably less secure than other encryption methods. If you've got Mac OS 9 or later you could use Apple's built in file encryption which would be more secure.

Have fun,
Shay
--
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer Sponsor WA's Solar Car