At 18:30 29/12/01 +0800, Antony N. Lord wrote:
My audio studio doubles as many things and has many machines all rack
mounted together and a scattered number of crappy monitors /
keyboards / mice.

I am about to (finally) buy 2 nice monitors and use them (and my nice
keyboard and optical mouse) with all the machines (several are dual
head) thanks to the Dr Bott Dual VGA KVA Switcher :

http://www.drbott.com/prod/action.lasso?-database=Products&-layout=all&-response=detail.html&-recordID=33215&-search

a) Anyone see good reason why I shouldn't do this

b) Anyone know an Australian reseller - postal times and customs are
always a hassle

My experience with monitor switches give me the following to impart:

Unless you spend heaps of money, the quality is *likely* (eg. not guaranteed) to be poorer than if you connected the nice monitor directly to the computer - especially noticeable as ghosting or fuzzy lines at resolutions >= 1024 x 768.

Spending $399 US, seems to qualify as looking towards heaps of money, so perhaps for your money you'd want to have a chat with Kurk at SI/KVM-Raritan (http://www.siwa.com.au/ - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - 08 9331 1833 - 9 Adam St, O'Conner) who distribute KVM monitor switches.

You could also consider a setup where your workstation is directly connected to the monitor(s) and any other stations (presumably servers) via a cheap ($50) switch to a cheap monitor.

Final tip: Try before you buy if you can.
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?      ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]