The question of whether you should turn off your Mac when not in use
provokes as much argument as whether or not to partition your HD, plus a few
others <G>
However I thought WAMUGgers may be interested in this response I gleaned
from another list I am on. Just adds another perspective. Mind you, I seem
to remember that Apple has released a KB article suggesting that if you are
not going to use your Mac for 8 hours then you should turn it off, but I
haven't got that KB number recorded.
Cheers

quote:
>Right, so should I just put my computer to sleep whenever I don't use it
>unless I go on vacation or something? I heard it's hard on the machine to
>startup, and you may as well avoid it by just letting it sleep when you
>don't use it.

The question of whether you should leave your Mac on all the time used to
come up quite often when I was a participating member of BMUG. So our
group guru called a bunch of experts, including engineers at Apple, to
see if he could get a definitive answer to this question.

He found that the concept of leaving your computer on all the time was a
hold-over from mainframes, which really do benefit from being left on all
the time. However, personal computers are not built to the same
standards. They wear out more quickly if left on all the time.

It is true that turning your computer on and off stresses it. So it is
recommended that if you are going to be away from your computer for an
hour or less, that you leave it on, and that if you will be away from it
for over an hour that you turn it off.

A good UPS will help relieve some of the stress on your computer and help
it to last longer by conditioning the power that it receives and keeping
the delicate componets from wearing down from surges and sags.

The issue is confused by the fact that if you have a hard drive that is
on its last legs you should not turn your computer off at all. Hard
drives that are on their way out usually give up the ghost on startup.
So, if your drive is old, and it is becoming increasingly flaky, it might
be best to keep your computer running (and not asleep) until you can back
up your hard drive.

Is it a good idea to keep your computer asleep when you are away from it?
It certainly is convenient to have it startup again so quickly, and
putting your computer to sleep causes less wear on your hard drive. But,
then again, I can't tell you how often I hear from folks who say: "my
computer was running fine, but one day I woke it up from sleep and
...[insert horror story]." I heard this so many times that I started to
recommend that folks not put their computer to sleep ever, unless they
had a full backup of their data. (If their data is very important to
them.) Your mileage may vary.

Randy B. Singer
unquote

--
Peter Sealy
Lavington, Australia

Youth, fitness and total knowledge of everything is quite unfairly lavished
upon the ungrateful young.