I assume you are using 10.1.2??? It is odd that this card reader isn't seen by 10.1.2 as all the card readers we've trialled and sell mount under X pretty much instantly without the need for any driver software.

I use a SanDisk ImageMate Compactflash Card reader to download images
from a Kodak 215 digital camera to the Mac via USB. It works well in
OS 9 but not at all in OS X. THe SanDisk website says there is no
driver available for OS X and suggests plugging the reader into the
Mac with card already installed, or trying in Classic, but neither
'workaround' works. iPhoto won't recognise it either.

If you launch Classic you should be able to access the device from within Classic. The trick is to actually launch the software that needs to talk to
the device in Classic. The WAMUG archives should assist you in this.
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno

Keith Palmer
Zytech Marketing Pty Ltd
PO Box 342 Bunbury 6231
Phone: 0419927101 Fax: 0897915900
the online FireWire data storage store -
http://www.zytech.com.au/

Remember to get your FREE colour business cards -
http://www.zytech.com.au/contact.html