This is how I have been generating the maps for my book "The Cape to Cape Track
Guidebook".

1 Collect the data in the GPS; a Magellan 310. Stores a max of 100 coordinates.

2 On return to base review the data in the GPS and manually enter the
coordinates into VectorWorks as loci. VectorWorks is a relatively easy-to-use
and powerful CAD/Architecture/Landscape program.

3 Use a suitable drawing tool in VectorWorks to "join the dots".

I have a cable, but cant find the software to download the data to my B/W G3.
If anyone knows of some I would love to know details.