I have been talking to some people about various cards but some have been
saying that I wont get more transfer speed than a "9600 scsi bus"

I was hoping that the firewire card would be faster than that. Is this naïve
:)

Given that CardBus is a 32bit standard that supports video cards, I'd be surprised if it wasn't fast enough for audio work (depends how many channels you're using, I guess). Not that I'm sure what they mean by "9600 SCSI bus".

Does anyone know anything about the reasons for the reduced speed when using
card bus vs actual hardware firewire?

At a guess, CardBus information is under the control of both the PC card and FireWire managers. But that's only a guess. Built in FW data would only need to be handled by the FireWire manager.

Are all firewire cards equal?

Probably not :( Although I'm sure a lot of them would probably use the same chipset.

I would suggest working out what software you're going to use, and seeing if the manufacturers and users have any recommendations as to which CardBus FireWire cards work best with it.

Have fun,
Shay

--
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer It must be bunnies!