On Thursday, April 18, 2002, at 08:49 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
snip
However, if you keep your eye on Software Update, it will announce that
the installation or update is complete. AT THAT POINT the "Save As"
command becomes active, and you have the ability to save a copy of the
complete installer to a location of your choice. You have to do it right
then, or the opportunity is lost forever.
snip again

Had an interesting result with this. I upgraded to X 10.1.4 and decided to retain the install package in case I needed to reinstall. I placed it on my desktop to start with and Show Info says that file is 2.5MB. However when I looked in /Library/Receipts folder there was an Apple installed pkg for the 10.1.4 update which Show Info gives as 964KB. If that Apple-installed pkg is just a receipt to show that you have downloaded that item then 964KB seems overkill just to show that. Especially if you can not then use that pkg to reinstall. On another list to which I subscribe one person claims that he has used those Apple-installed pkgs to install the software [he says he copies them from another computer]. I don't know if that is true and I have not tried to do so. Has anyone done such a thing? Also if the pkgs for all the installed updates and other apps in the /Library/Receipts folder are just that, receipts, then why do we need to retain them? If they are just to show that the update [or whatever] has been installed I find that a bit superfluous. The app will tell me by the versiuon number whether it has been updated. Can those Receipt pkgs be deleted? That folder for me is over 10mb in size.

Peter Sealy
Thurgoona, AUSTRALIA

"After a hacking cult released BO2K, a program designed to remotely
crash Microsoft's Windows operating system, Microsoft officials
were understandably upset - they have their own designers for that
sort of thing." -- Paul McDermott, Good News Week (TEN Network)