One correspondent recently requested info on free virus detectors. These
are still about, but I think the usefulness of them is questionable because
of the difficulty in keeping up with new virus definitions.

I use Norton's Antivirus (6.0.2) which is not expensive and can still be
regularly updated online with new definitions at no extra cost. The process
is automatic. Simply toggle an onscreen button and the software does the
connection and downloads and self-installs the latest patch in a few
minutes. Norton issue new patches at least every few weeks. Their
server can also detect if you have the latest patch, so this saves needless
downloading.

Microsoft Internet Explorer users might also think about installing the
latest version of their browser, because it has patches intended to overcome
some previously exploitable weaknesses by the bad guys. The current release
of MSIE is 5.1.4 (4231). Outlook Express is 5.0.2 (2022). For new Mac
owners, you can easily check your existing version number while it is
running by taking a peep at "About .........." at the top of your • Apple
Menu.

While you are at it, consider having too the latest free version of Acrobat
Reader (5.0.5) which is compatible and cooperative with MSE. I reckon this
latest version AR is fantastic. It brings out certain qualities in past PDF
documents I have created which I never dreamed possible.

My service provider Starwon http://www.starwon.com.au/ has recently
introduced a spam filter service. Any spam I get is forwarded to a special
Starwon email address and anything from that spammer to me is then
automatically blocked. I can easily access and make changes to this list if
I wish. Starwon are apparently also involved in some sort of program with
other service providers to collate data on spammers with a view to their
true identification and hopefully eventual eradication. My provider has said
it is not helpful to try to return spam to senders.

Regards, Paul.