We have a similar setup to Daniel also using Telstra. We have the 1500/256 Kpbs and it is very quick. I am also about to install an internal antenna in the roof for better wireless coverage. The Airport also acts as a simple Firewall, so I think it is a great solution for your ADSL as it works brilliantly and offers other advantages as well.

A good site to test connection speeds is -
http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/index.html