>> For those looking to save money, note that iiNet's hardware prices for
>> modems (eg Dlink 300), combined modem/routers (Dlink 504) or filters needed
>> on each wall outlet for use with other telephone equipment have a
>> significant premium (40 - 80%), compared to that from other computer
>> peripheral retailers.
>
> iinet mentions that these modems and routers are 'set up ' for iinet,
> how does one do this - is it very hard, would you be asking for
> trouble by buying the modems from another reatiler?

I have a Dlink DSL - 300 (their baseline ethernet ADSL modem) supplied &
configured by iinet, so I consulted its manual & checked details with Dlink
support ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). For the DSL-300, D link have a WindowsOS only
configuration program. Two numbers need to be set (VPI and VCI) - however
the VPI and VCI configuration supplied by Dlink to Australian customers is
set at 8 and 35 (bridged ethernet) which is suitable for iinet's current
implementation. However I do not know whether the new Bliink contract uses
the same settings.
Configuration types are ISP and modem type specific (eg PPPoA for USB
modems; PPPoE or bridged ethernet for ethernet modems). The VPI and VCI
settings determine to which configuration the modem is set.
Firmware upgrades for the DSL 300 require connection to a WindowsOS
computer. Current Dlink firmware is specific for Australian conditions.

Dlink's DSL 500 (one ethernet port router combined with ADSL modem) or DSL
504 (4 ethernet port router combined with ADSL modem) have web based
configuration utilities ie can be set up using a Mac. The DSL 504 can be
bought from iinet with its modem preconfigured (VPI & VCI) but not the
router (iinet do not support setting up routing and firewall components of
the DSL 500/504). If a firmware upgrade is required, D link only supply a
WindowsOS configuration utility.
I believe the Alcatel modems supplied by Telstra can also be configured by a
web browser, but I don't know how firmware upgrades are handled.

In summary, D link modem configuration is not complex, but depending on the
model you buy, you may require access to a WindowsOS machine with an
ethernet port to change configurations and most certainly to do firmware
upgrades. If the modem is purchased through the Australian Dlink
distributorship, it will come with suitable firmware. Note also that unless
your particular ISP requires them, because of the ISP set up, ethernet ADSL
modems seem to be preferred model..?USB port overload causing problems with
USB modems.
Richard