As I am in OS X I have been using Eudora Pro 4.2 under Classic. It
appears to work OK except that it will not collect mail when
connected via ADSL. I can send mail on ADSL but the only one I could
collect was one I sent to myself as a test.

Eudora tells me there are X messages to collect and then times out,
'no response in 45 seconds'. Twice this morning I have switched to
dial-up (leaving Eudora running) and collected it with no problem, so
presumably it is not related to running Eudora in Classic. It
happened yesterday too but I just assumed the in-coming mail server
was down again and collected my mail later in the day when I was in
OS 9 on dial-up.

Any ideas or do I have to get on to iinet support again?

It sounds like there's a problem either with iinet's mail server, or resolving the domain name of the mail server machine when you're connected via DSL.

Can you use a network utility to resolve the mail server's IP name when you're connected via ADSL (I presume you're using mail.m.iinet.net.au?)

The fact that you collected mail you sent yourself seems to indicate that your machine has at some stage been able to successfully connect to iinet's mail server.

Thanks,
Shay
--
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer It must be bunnies!