Heya Shay - thanks for the thoughts,

<snip>

> Which FTP app?

Fetch, Transmit, Captain FTP, and the inbuilt ftp program in Dreamweaver
MX.

> You might want to try playing around with IPNetTuner from
> <http://www.Sustworks.com/>, it might be a problem with your MTU size
> or something along those lines.

MTU size? I downloaded IPNetTuner after you suggested it in an earlier post
... I'll do some reading and see if I can figure out what MTU is ... ;-)

> Do you have the same problem FTPing to different sites?

Under OS X - yes.

> Do you have the same problem with different FTP applications?

The end result is the same, although in expression it can differ between 'the
app timing out' and 'just taking a _very_ long time'.

> Is your FTP set to use Passive (PASV) mode? You might try changing it.

I've tried passive ftp on and off. It doesn't seem to have any effect. I
thought at
one point the problem might be that I was flicking the passive ftp switch
without logging out and in again to ensure the changed state was being
registered ... but it made no difference

> Have fun,

*sigh* not for lack of trying ... ;-)

> Shay

<snip>