Dear WAMUGgers

I thought you might like to read this little tale, described as it
unfolded today. We have just been offered laptops under the
Department's 'Notebooks for Teachers Program'. Acers, of course; no
sight yet of any Apple option. I'm saying yes to the offer, but only
when the Apple option becomes available.

Teacher 2 says yes to the Acer as he uses a PC at home anyway, and
Teacher 3 is undecided because she doesn't like the legalistic
gobbledegook of the contract. She also likes the iBook, especially
the Combo with DVD and CD-R but her husband has a PC laptop at home,
and he is the one who will help her. She finally signs for the Acer.
Not likely we'll become an 'Apple Distinguished School'.

Teacher 1 has used the iBooks at school and at home and decided today
that he wanted to take one home to do some school work tonight in
front of the TV. (A sort of 'Clayton's Computer maybe?) He asks me
for help to install Micro$oft Office on it as he uses Word at home.
That's Ok; we have Office 2001 for Mac OS 9 and Office vX for OS X.

He opts for the OS 9 installation as our Kyocera laser printer prints
rubbish in OS X. (Also Enjie has our OS X disk!). We cannot install
OS 9 software properly when in OS X so we restart in 9. Then we go to
install it, only to find it has already been installed. That's Ok
Reg, now let's restart in OS X. Accidentally we restarted in 9 again.

We restart in OS X and drag a Word icon to the dock. That's good. Now
let's test it. It loads Word, loading 'Classic' mode to run. Um, I
remember Doreen said that AirPort doesn't work in 'Classic' mode, and
he wants to print his worksheets tomorrow morning on the networked
Kyocera. We'll look in the Chooser. Sure enough, no network; no
networked printers.

Ok let's restart in 9. This we do and make an alias on the desktop
for Word. Check the Chooser. No, nothing there. It's the first time
we've used OS 9 this way on the Mac.

Open the Control Panels; activate AppeTalk, TCP/IP and File Sharing
via AirPort. (Not that we need all that but you know, when he wants
to get the internet later tomorrow, he might as well get it without
going through this again!)

Test print a Word document we create, carrying one word: 'Help'. It
prints. Victory at last.

So now he has gone home to watch whatever with the iBook on his lap,
and to sit in waiting for his Acer with Windows XP. What delights
will await him then? hopefully he won't need to go through this again.

The point of this recount, really, is this, on reflection. I know
about Macs; enough to get by and sometimes to help others. I've used
them for 12 years. What would the novice Mac user do if he or she
encountered the same problem? It hardly sounds user-friendly... or
have I missed something?

Regards

Reg