Hi every1,

Here in Victoria we've had the notebooks for teachers program for four years or
so. I availed myself of the iBook option (mine has DVD and CD-R capability - it
has a built-in CD burner as well)...and I've never looked back!

The PC option was originally an ACER machine. Boy, did they have problems with
that. The biggest problem in Victoria was giving EVERY teacher (whether
computer-savvy or not) a laptop. Most here let them sit on their desks with
obscure screensavers drivelling away all day, chewing up the odd kJ...

After three years of problems with the ACER machines (which local PC users
described as "pieces of crap") and so many returns for repairs they discarded
the ACER in favour of a more robust IBM machine.

My moral? The ACERs had lotsa trouble because they were not intuitively
user-friendly to new users (not necessarily because they were "pieces of crap"
- that's subjective). The Macs on the other hand had minimal returns for
repairs and were considered a good option.

Footnote: In Victoria if you originally punted on a PC machine for your laptop
you are NOT able to change to a Mac when the three years are up! Only those
clever (or fortunate) enough to have punted the Macs get to keep upgrading
them! :))

Cheers,
Kevin Phyland
Wycheproof P-12 College.