Sorry all forgot to mention that you connect the 'console' of the
DLS-504 by a com port on a PC or I suppose by a serial port - usb
adapter on a Mac. which leads me to my next question: can I use the
Terminal app in OS X?

Also here is a bit of the manual where it explains the connecting up.
-------
If you choose to change the IP address of the Router you will need to
access the device directly via the RS-232 connection using a terminal
emulation interface (such as Microsoft HyperTerminal used in the
sample screen captures). Your terminal parameters will need to be set
to:
VT-100/ANSI compatible
Terminal keys enabled
9,600 baud