On Monday, September 16, 2002, at 07:09 AM, Paul Weaver wrote:

When a list member recently asked if there were any discounts for WAMUG
members he raised an interesting subject. For as long as there have been
Macs on sale in this country, those who have dealt in them seem to have
adhered rigidly to a fixed price scheme, with no apparent competitiveness
between dealers. I have often wondered if some sort of retail price
agreement operates. Is it a breach of the trade practices act? Should
some offended consumer send a query to Allan Felds and the ACCC? The
argument that "there is hardly any margin on macs" has long been used as an excuse for non-discounting. Yet just about every other consumer device in
the electronics arena can have its price negotiated between buyer and
seller.

Members of the working class might not know that there is a second cheaper price list for people having an association with a university. This saves
quite a bit on the price in the street. Even former attendees of a
university can get this discounted price by being a member of their alumni association. WA universities recognise each others members too. While I have purchased computers this way in the past I have always felt it unfair that the working taxpayers who largely pay for these institutions to exist
are not permitted to access the discounted prices.

My feeling is that it could be timely for some consumer to ask the ACCC for their opinion on Mac pricing. All it takes is a phone call and a follow-up
letter. The number is in the phone book.

Consumers should rule - OK.

Regards, Paul.

While I don't want to offer any particular comment on a fixed price scheme or the equity of education pricing and eligibility, I would say that after many years of Mac purchasing, I've found that the cannier (sp?) buyer will consider total purchase needs before entering a price bargaining situation. In my experience, while there seems to be little room to move on the price of the computer itself, that there often is room on other items such as printers, scanners, external drives, memory etc etc. In other words, on other items where the dealer may have a quite different margin to play with.

So if a buyer knows he/she will require a printer, scanner etc as well, it seems better to negotiate this at the same time as buying the computer itself. There may be some pleasant surprises.

My $0.02 (inc GST) worth. I am not not a dealer blah blah, just a consumer.

Larry