PowerBook 333, OS 9.2.2

1) I once had my idisk set to mount at startup - but now I've become
sick of the disconnection notices so I mount it only when needed.
However despite doing the "use the chooser to mount the already
mounted volume and uncheck the startup checkbox" trick it still
persists and everything else stops loading until that window is dealt
with.

If it's like a normal AppleShare valume you need to delete the AppleShare Prep file, and the contents of the 'Servers' folder inside the System Folder. Possibly also remove the iTools prefs.

2) If one of my mounted PC volumes (mounted with Dave) crashes / is
disconnected my machine hangs a good 90 seconds before telling me the
volume is no longer available. Is there no faster way around this
aside using X :)

Servers falling over is traditionally likely to be fatal to pre-Mac OS X systems :(

Have fun,
Shay
--
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer There *is* a spoon!