Found the maker and model number:
CD-ROM drive
Driver version 1.3.5
Vendor: MATSHITA
Revision NO 8.0h
Product ID CD-ROM CR-8008

Searched for MATSHITA and ended up on the Panasonic site but could
not find details for CR-8008.

However, I did find an article on another site, an extract being:
Gateway phasing out CD-ROMs, CRTs
By Michael Kanellos
Special to ZDNet News
October 15, 2002, 5:13 AM PT
Buyers will get a discount if they choose to switch an LCD screen for
a standard monitor, but most customers generally go with the standard
configurations shown on the Web page and in Gateway Country Stores.

The shift from CD-ROM drives and CRTs has been taking place slowly
but surely across the industry. Most computer companies have largely
phased out CD-ROMs in favor of CD-RWs, offering CD-ROMs only in the
cheapest models.

Could this mean my CD-ROM will not read rewritable disks unless
changed to a CD-RW drive?

Merv

--
"Science teaches that we must see in order to believe, but we must
also believe in order to see."