Following on from my OSX sleep problem, where I found that the problem was
the canon scanner driver, I took Shay's suggestion of checking if there was
an updated version of the driver. I went to the Canon Australia site, to
driver downloads for the N1240U and found 2 for the Mac:

> Mac Plug-in for N670U / 676U / 1240U v6.2.3
> Plug-in driver for Apple Mac OS 8.6-9.1
> For Macintosh
> File: n6701240v623.sit
> Size: 1.3 Mb
> Mac OS X plug-in for N670u/676u/1240u v6.5.0.0X
> PhotoShop Plug-in for N670U / N676U / N1240U flatbed scanners to suit MacOS
> X.
>
> Requires Adobe Photoshop 7.0 (not supplied)
>
> Minimum OS requirement: Mac OS X v 10.1.3
>
> Please consult the Release Notes prior to downloading this driver.
> For Macintosh
> File: sgcs65x.sit
> Size: 1.3 Mb

Since I don't run Photoshop 7, I just downloaded the first one, but when I
checked the contents of the download the versions were all the same as on
the CD which came with the scanner (dating from April 2001 to May 2002). I
decided I'd just have to live with it, turned off the extension, and just
turn it back on when I need to scan - a pain, but the lesser of the evils.

Then, today, while browsing the macfixit site, I noticed a report that Canon
had posted some new OSX scanner drivers, I followed the link
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/techsupport/downloads/index.html which was to
Canon USA, where there were 3 downloads for the N1240U:

> CanoScan N1240U Downloads
> ScanGear CS v7.0.0.0X Scanner Driver for Macintosh OS X v10.1.3 through OS X
> v10.2 Jaguar "Native Mode"
> The ScanGear CS Scanner Driver is compatible with the iMac, G3 & G4 systems
> with built-in USB ports. The ScanGear CS v7.0.0.0X Scanner Driver is for the
> CanoScan N1240U scanner running on Mac OS X v10.1.3 through OS X v10.2 Jaguar
> in "Native Mode" using the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 "Import" feature. This
> self-extracting scanner driver installer assists the user with a guided
> installation procedure through an intuitive interface. Once the file has
> UnStuffed, double-click N1240U_OSX_v7000X to begin installation. (Please be
> advised that the scanner buttons on the scanner's front panel cannot be used
> with Mac OS X.)
>
> File: N1240U_OSX_v7000X.app.sit
> Size: 2.1 MB
> CanoScan Toolbox v4.0.1.0 Application for Mac OS 9.0 or higher and Mac OSX
> "Classic Mode"
> The CanoScan Toolbox v4.0.1.0 Application is compatible with the iMac, G3& G4
> systems with built-in USB ports. The CanoScan Toolbox v4.0.1.0 Application is
> for the CanoScan N1240U scanner running on Mac OS 9.0 or higher or Mac OSX
> "Classic Mode". This self-mounting application installer assists the userwith
> a guided installation procedure through an intuitive interface. Once the file
> has UnStuffed and the self-mounted disk image is opened, double-click "Double
> Click Me.htm" to begin installation.
>
> File: CanoScan_Toolbox_v4010.smi.sit
> Size: 2.5 MB
> ScanGear CS v7.0.0.0 Scanner Driver for Mac OS 9.0 or higher and Mac OS X
> "Classic Mode"
> The ScanGear CS Scanner Driver is compatible with the iMac, G3 & G4 systems
> with built-in USB ports. The ScanGear CS v7.0.0.0 Scanner Driver is for the
> CanoScan N1240U scanner running on Mac OS 9.0 or higher and Mac OS X "Classic
> Mode". This self-mounting scanner driver installer assists the user with a
> guided installation procedure through an intuitive interface. Once the file
> has UnStuffed and the self-mounted disk image is opened, double-click "Double
> Click Me.htm" to begin installation.
>
> File: CanoScan_N1240U_CSv7000.smi.sit
> Size: 2.6 MB
These are obviously newer drivers so I thought I would download the second
two, however I was first taken to the license agreement which states:
> Canon Driver Downloads is for the support of Canon Products SOLD IN THE U.S.A.
> ONLY.
I seem to remember reading of differences between Apple American and
International English software and problems with mixing the two, so my
question is:

Does anyone know whether:
1) it is safe to use these American drivers with scanners and computers
bought in Australia (is anyone on the list using them?)
2) why there would be different driver versions on the Canon USA and
Australian sites.

Also what is the difference between US and international versions of Apple &
other software (other than the obvious defaults for date format, currency
etc)

TIA

Neil

--