On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 07:30 AM, Peter Faulks wrote:

> We have a client with a database written in Data Flex on a Windows
> computer, it looks a decent type of all purpose database but the
> client wants to move to Mac computers and want the database to move
> as well - does not want a new database.
>
> Does anyone know if you can convert Data Flex to Mac
>
> The Data Flex has a look and feel of Access and is a windows only
> product (we think!) looks DOS driven!
>
> Any help would be received with warm smiles.

You won't be able to do much more than export the data from the Data
Flex solution into a form readable by a Mac-based DB program. This will
depend on what export facilities are provided by Data Flex. Exporting
directly to Excel (à la Access) is porbably best id possible, but if
not, try DBF if available, or some kind of delimited test file as a
last resort. Whatever approach you take the Data Flex solution is
basically going to have to be rebuilt from scratch in whatever
Mac-based DB solution you choose to go with, and this could turn into
serious time and money depending on the complexity of the thing.

In the long run you may well find that an investment in Virtual PC
might be more cost-effective, and just run the Data Flex thing as is.

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer