Currently you can't choose a particular group of contacts to sync with .mac.
(you can with other devices)

I am syncing 3 computers and so far it has done quite well in maintaining the
integrity of the data (no duplicates!)

Note it is still in beta stage, so hopefully there will be some more added
features and faster syncing when the full version is released.

Steven