----- Original Message -----
From: "David de la Hunty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wamug@wamug.org.au>
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 12:07 AM
Subject: iPod innards?

> Traders look away now...
>
> What is in an iPod? is it a HDD like an IDE style laptop HDD?
>
> Has anyone had one open? What is to stop you swapping the 5G one on the
> entry level iPod and souping it up to 40, for example? Swapping a new
> HDD into a laptop is dead easy in my experience.
>
> Just interested... ;)
>
> David

Other than voiding your warranty (we can't even crack them open), the drive
inside is smaller than a laptop drive. From memory, they are either a 1.5
or 1.8 inch drive, which I would not think is commonly available.
Considering the premium you pay for a 2.5 inch drive, I'd shudder to think
how much extra a 1.8 inch is!

Seeya

Rod!