We have a fairly simple and cheap parallel Laser printer on my husband's PC, which I use for contract work documents, and he uses for his lecturing notes. We've only replaced the toner once in two years, and it cost $40. Have spent about a million (slight exaggeration) on inkjet cartridges in the meantime for everyday printing.