For quality (hmm also read not $100 cheap) stuff try "The 12 Volt Shop" <http://www.12volt.com.au/indexcat.html>

click on the "inverters" link.

Most of these suckers will run anything short of a microwave oven!! (Off topic alert ....and some will even do that if your running 24 or 48 volt A/C systems -mostly boats & trucks or if you like you can buy a 500w 12 volt microwave oven from them)

Yeh overkill I know but still fun to dream about :)

Best to wire directly from the battery with relay & fuse of course anything drawing more than a couple hundred watts continuously (unless you actually like melted accessory plugs/blown fuses etc)

Malcolm
This topic was just discussed on another list.
Here are 2 of the suggestions.
Cheers
Rod

"
I use a 150watt inverter from Dick Smith, works great while travelling
etc... about $100 and can use it for everything else ...."

"You could go to your local parts car dealer where they have units that
convert 12v DC to 240 AC from around $80+. The current should be enough to
run/charge a PowerBook as well as run other devices like fluro lights, small
TVs etc. You can use it to charge your video camera / dig camera. It won't
run a fridge or bar heater!"