Having a look at what you said, there seems to be no problem running frames web sites within Safari (see www.theaussiepostie.com for an example of a site that uses frames and loads successfully). I don't know if you copied all the code correctly, but there are several pieces of code missing, like URL's for the frames. Below is a sample code of what it should look like (assuming that everybody does the same as me).

<head>
<title>Web Self Service</title>
</head>
<frameset rows="5%,*">
<frame src="menu.html" name="Menu" noresize>
<frame src="main.html" name="Main" noresize>
</frameset>

Obviously you can play around with the code a bit more.
Cheers