on 18/02/03 12:30, Craig Chappelle at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Would I be safe to assume that because my (secondhand) Titanium G3
> Powerbook has a monitor socket, I can automatically hang a monitor
> off it ? Or would I need to get an appropriate card fitted? How
> would I know if one was already fitted (notwithstanding the obvious
> answer, which is to hang a monitor off it! but could that cause any
> damage) ?

Hi Craig,

Firstly, to the best of my knowledge, all Titanium Powerbooks are G4 not G3
(though wiser heads may correct me!)
My 400MHz G4 Ti powerbook is one of the earlier models and the manual say
that the monitor port "allows you to directly connect a monitor with a VGA
style adaptor or other external video device such as a video projector."
[ie no additional card is required]

You also have an S-video out port to connect to a TV or VCR.

The manual also notes that: "When an external monitor or television is
connected, you can either have the same image appear on both the internal
display and the external monitor (known as video mirroring) or use the
external monitor to extend the size of the Mac OS desktop (known as extended
desktop mode)."

Have fun.

Neil
--