Peter wrote: "I've never had this many freezes in all my life with Apple."

Well join the club Peter, I have had a huge number of freezes with my 64 MB
IMac over the past few weeks and have had no joy in solving the problem with
Conflict Catcher, Disk Doctor and Nortons. The only way I find to get out
of them is turn off the power at the wall plug. Something initially damages
the Finder, and Remote Access app usually when I am online and using
Internet Explorer 5.1.5 and I find the only solution after that has been to
do a clean install. I am now running on a bare minimum of apps and am
keeping my fingers crossed. Everything is backed up. I am running Sys 8.6
and did so for a couple of years with stacks of different apps on the
machine before these problems started. People I know with Windows based PCs
seem to not have as much trouble. My recent experience makes me think there
could be an awful lot of Macs out there that people have given up on.
Indeed when one thinks about this list there has been a huge number of
problems raised over time. Admitedly lots of solutions and suggestions are
offered too, but not always.

Hands up those whom over the years have watched demos by Mac experts at
exhibitions and WAMUG meetings where something has crashed? These are
generally received with patience and murmered understanding. We see and
accept these frustrating events as a part of life.

Perhaps part of the problem of people having so many problems began when
Apple started charging for the new operating systems it developed. Ordinary
Mac users were inhibited from upgrading because of the cost, and certainly
no guarantee of freedom from more problems. Remember the good old days when
Apple gave out Sys 7 and then its Tuneup.

Some people might say I should shell out for Sys 9 but is my 64 MB of RAM
sufficient? Is it worth the effort? Is even the much heralded Sys X
trouble free?

Recently I was also experiencing occasional zaps on the screen, but I am
happy to report these seem to have stopped - for the moment. Do I trust my
IMac? Sadly, the answer is not any more. I now have a feeling of
foreboding everytime I turn it on.

Regards, Paul.