Hi,

We've recently bought a Canon 8000F scanner and are trying to install the supplied software under OSX (10.2). No problem with the graphics support, but they provide Omnipage SE for OCR and it fails to install. Neither Canon's tech support pages nor Omnipage's web site offer any help, and the Canon hotline support staff said "sorry - no idea"......so maybe someone in WAMUG can help.

The installation gets to within the last few files, then fails with:

"sorry, the operation could not be completed due to a System error
{Access Denied)"

You get an opportunity to re-install, but if you try it just gets the same problem.

Since most of the files have been copied down, Omninpage is actually there, but any attempt to run it get the not unexpected message:

"Part of this copy of Omnipage SE has been corrupted. Please reinstall the
Omnipage SE application"

We are carrying out the installation under our own (administrative) account name, and don't currently have a root account created (brand new machine, still setting it up). Everything else from the CD installs in /Applications (the top level applications directory), but Omnipage installs in /Users/ouraccount/Applications (the user level directory).

The error message suggests that the installation has to copy something from the CD into a directory owned by root, and is getting a protection error. Unfortunately, it doesn't write a log, and we haven't been able to find any protection violation errors reported in /var/logs/system.log.

Has anyone else had this problem [and solved it :-)]? If we could find out where the error is actually occurring we could fix it - are there other logs that we've forgotten about that would show what the installation was trying to do when it hit the "access denied" problem, for instance?

We've thought of creating a root account and doing the installation as root, but while that might solve the problem in the short term it wouldn't tell us what was going wrong and it might leave us with software that we could only access when logged in as root.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kaye and Geoff
--
----