At 09:18 +0800 3/4/03, Mark Secker wrote:
these years later I can't even remember the command.... actually
despite 3 solid years of UNIX after 15 years of not using it all I
can remember is kill, pwd & ls. Guess I'd probably have to say the
same about COBOL.

Be afraid - your opportunity to relearn COBOL, now on a Mac OS X
platform, could be just around the corner :-)

<http://www.thekompany.com/products/kobol/>
--

Andrew Nielsen

like going back in to a haunted house in a B grade horror movie there are some things you just shouldn't return to :)

There was, around the early/mid 90's, a PC COBOL program that had some degree of success - we tried it at WACAE for a few small projects. I heard rumors of a version for mac but never, thankfully, saw such a beast.

Actually I guess one could argue for the rehabilitation of COBOL ("rehabilitation of COBOL " - sounds like some Stalin era term).... if, as they say it's object oriented, and also if it supported relational/OO databases, does screen stuff without resorting to CICS mapping.... noooooo the painful memories... next it will be IBM JCL (Job Control Language) & Report Writer for OSX then some one will bring out a OSX driver for a punched card reader and I'll be having post traumatic stress flash backs!!

The Horror... The Horror

now I remember why I embraced the mac and loved hypercard and File Maker Pro the first time I saw them...

--
~
Mark Secker [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"... the pupil is never educated to the degree of consciousness, but only to the degree of trust and reverence, and a child is not made a man, but kept a child."
Henry David Thoreau

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO"
Hunter S Thompson(?)