On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 06:06 PM, Antony N. Lord wrote:

When on earth are we going to see a new version of Virex for either
9.x or X ?

I was thinking about it today and it's just so klunky (to me anyway)
- it just seems very ancient and ugly.

I also seem to remember is isn't exactly "easy" to install / use under
OS X.

Perhaps its just a case of "if it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

7.1 was released recently, but in all honesty... virus scanners are
next to useless on a Mac (not counting MS Office junk).

Well yes, this last point is true,..but it's always good to have some "protection". I always look on it like car insurance,....I have it,..but I sure as hell hope I never have to use it!!! (And no digs at my car thanks Matt or Phil) :p

I used to use Virex, but since they sort of left the race when OS X came out, I changed across to Norton AntiVirus. I find the Live Update feature handy and it's fairly easy to use! (Well that's when I load it of course) :o)

I remember working on a client's machine when they got told they had a virus (on their Mac.) I was a bit dubious, but infact all of their Microsoft Word and Excel files (ie their documents) had a Macro Virus but the rest of the System was clean,...including all the Applications (Microsoft Word and Excel included),..so went to show that the Mac holds up,...but Windows lets it down! :o))

well that's my view on it anyway!

Enjoy!!

Kind Regards
Daniel Kerr