My apologies if the groups gets this twice, but it didn't appear in my inbox
all day so I assume the first one didn't actually get sent properly.

Hi all,

I had some problems with Internet Explorer 5.1, running on Mac OS9.2 the
other day. Its a G4 tower (466) with 640mb RAM. IE crashed my computer and
when I restarted all my IE preferences had changed. The homepage had changed
to an MSN page I don't recall ever having visited rather than the default
page, the security settings changed to maximum, the browser colour had even
changed. My default mail program had also changed, including the Mail alias
on the desktop, and my dictionary/spelling settings had changed to US
English. None of my automatic logins worked and neither did the auto-fill
related things. It was as though IE had reinstalled itself and overwritten
all the preferences and related things but the favourites and cookies were
all still there. It was really strange and I have never seen or heard of it
before. Its been running a little slow recently, particularly with the
Internet, and its crashed quite a lot more than it should, and not with
particularly taxing tasks. It can run multiple big graphics packages without
issues but a few Internet related apps and it runs quite poorly. I have a
56k dialup connection with iiNet and have had no problems like this before
with their service.

I reset all my preferences again and they've saved without a problem but its
still running slowly and below its usual stable self. I ran Virex, with the
most recent virus definitions (updated last night), and it found nothing and
my computer is regularly maintained with Disk Warrior. I've updated all my
Microsoft office programs and Entourage, which is my default mail program,
and there are no further security patches or updates on Mactopia. I've
virtually ruled out software conflicts and I have no idea what else it could
be.

If anybody could give me any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Perhaps I
need a different virus scanner or to try some further maintenance, or search
for something specific, but I have no idea what. Its got me stumped this
time.

Kind regards,
Kelly Duffy