I've got a handy little donationware program called Cocktail that
apparently optimises settings for OS X to make things run more
efficiently. I does things like Repair Permissions and re-prebind
system. It also has this thing about cron scripts (one for each day,
each week and each month).
What do the cron scripts actually do? Is using this program going to
make things more efficient?
Things seem smoother and faster after performing the tasks stated above
but maybe that's just my perception.
Hope there's someone that knows a little more about this stuff than me.
Ruben A. Franke

Mac OS X (and other flavours of Unix) have daily, weekly and monthly scripts that do things like update various databases, compress and re-name system, web server and other log files, delete old log files and temp files, etc. to stop your system grinding to a halt by running out of space.

In the good old Unix world your machine is assumed to be always on, and the scripts typically run around 3am or something. Which is a pain in the Mac OS X world because it's unlikely that you've got your computer on at 3am.

There are various utilities around (ie MacJanitor) that let you manually run some of these scripts. There are other utilities which will automatically run the scripts that should have been run last night.

As to what Cocktails cron scripts do specifically, you'd either have to have a look at the scripts themselves or check the Cocktail documentation.

Have fun,
Shay
--
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer Join WA's annual