David
We set the Mac to TCP/IP and selected internal ethernet. In the Users I identified the laptop by name as a user and turned on Windows file sharing. Have I missed something?

The laptop was being operated by my son so I can't answer what settings he used. He uses it in his own house linked to an old PC and a PC running XP.

If you can dig up the settings required on Windows that would be great.