I'm trying to make some mp3's of various specs from aiff files to put a
band's music onto their website so it can be downloaded in various
resolutions according to the user's connection speed and machine...also
it needs to be playable on a windows machine or a mac...
I haven't found an application yet which gives me choices about
specifications - itunes gives me a 46mb mp3 which is too big, final cut
pro doesn't give me an mp3 export option, or quicktime, or peak dv, or
soundtrack (as far as i can see anyway)

any clues?

You can change iTunes encoding defaults from the 'Importing' pane of the iTunes preferences panel. Choose 'Custom' and change it appropriately.

If it's encoded the mp3 to be 46Mb it sounds like you're looking at the wrong file as that's more the size I'd expect an AIFF to be.

Have fun,
Shay
--
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer Join Team Sungroper, race the