Having bought an ibook from new, and used it for watching DVD's on my TV, you will need the ibook video adapter for the video port. It doesn't come naturally with the ibook, unlike the VGA adaptor, so you have to purchase it (from an Apple reseller only?). From memory, about $45. You didn't miss out because of buying the ibook secondhand - just as well.

the video adaptor comes with video out (connecting via a simple video cable) plus the S-video option. The quality is OK, but not wonderful.