Last week I purchased Via Voice for Mac OS X and have been having no end of trouble installing it. Checked archives but could not find past postings on this one! By the way this is my first posting!

I have a imac 400 Mhz - running OS X.2.6

By and large I have no major problems with the imac or updating from OS 9 to OS X. In fact since installing OS 10.2 the whole system has been quite stable and less problematic.

The problem

The physical installation of Via Voice program was OK. - Had a problem of submitting registration to IBM {While connected to Internet no connection was found at IBM end}

This was when the problems began. Before I can use the application I need to go through the Via Voice Set Up Assistant to start up the program

Everything was going ahead fine - following the visual instructions/prompts {Via Voice Set Up Assistant} on screen until I came to the microphone test.

The following message appeared and continues to appear.

"It appears that your microphone may not be connected. Check your connections, close set up assistant, and repeat this set up again. You may need to restart your computer after plugging in the mic."

The steps I have taken to solve this problem:

1. Initially, I followed the instructions of this prompt - 4/5 times without any success, paying particular attention to putting in the right cables into the right slots etc. Also making sure that the microphone was correctly put together!

2. I deleted the files on the HD and reinstalled and followed the Via Voice Set assistant a second time - no success

3. Checked out Scan Soft - IBM support on Web

http://knowledgebase.scansoft.com/view.asp?tnID=5360

Found that there was a problem with OS X recognizing the microphone "Error message does not appear to be connected when using OS 10.2

3. Followed Step 1 and found that 'Apple System Profiler' was not recognizing Via Voice.

4. Then followed Steps 1 - 10 {additional} by the letter including installing IBM Via Voice update for Mac OS X 10.2.2

Made some progress as 'Apple Profiler' recognized Via Voice - USB Information - USB Bus 0 - AK 5370

Then I followed Via Voice Set up Assistant and got the same message.

5. Went and followed steps 2 - 7 {Apple Menu - Systems Preferences}

Made more progress - the following settings are current {even if they are not working}

Speech -

Listening panel Listening Method/ Listen Only while key is pressed; Microphone AK5370

On/Off - Apple Speakable Items are turned off

Sound -

Input

Choice of Sound Imput: AK 5370

The imput level is moving responding to my voice through the microphone

Output

Built In Audio Controller {no other choices available}

Thought that I was cooking with gas!

Relaunched the Via Voice Set Up Assistant - but when it came to testing the microphone GUESS WHAT -

"It appears that your microphone may not be connected. Check your connections, close set up assistant, and repeat this set up again. You may need to restart your computer after plugging in the mic."

Deleted the HD applications and HD Users log - Via Voice several times and reinstalled according to instructions 1 - 10 without success.

So I am none the wiser! And frustrated in what was intended as save me time {do a lot of transposing and summary work from books and notes to computer documents} is no lying dormant! Have done all the things like delete files/ empty trash/ reinstall/ reboot computer in sequence.

Can some one help me! I am sure that it must be something that I am overlooking or it could be more technical and co0mplex than my capabilities!

Philip Woolford