On 25/09/2003, at 10:55 AM, Susan Hastings wrote:

I've given up trying to use ozmac as a POP email account for this reason, and just check it through my browser.

Also found that if I sent to an email another ozmac account, ozmac refused to accept the email saying it required authentication. But my ISP outgoing server does not allow adding authentication. So, can't do it this way.

The problem is this....

ISPs can restrict access to their SMTP server based on the IP addresses they give to their clients. As such, they don't need to use Authenticated SMTP. Other SMTP servers such as ozmac.com, needs to be able to accept connections from anywhere. This means it must use some form of authentication to keep from being an open relay (spammers heaven).

Ideally you should be able to use the ozmac.com POP account, with your ISP's SMTP account. (Unless they are being annoying and rejecting emails with a non ISP email address.)

Otherwise, just use the ozmac.com server for sending and receiving. To do this, you need to make sure your mail client can use authenticated SMTP.

- Matt

--

     Matt Healey                                                [EMAIL